Long lay-over in Heathrow

I have arrived in London.  We landed in a rainstorm with lightening flashing off the wing….a typical British welcome, I presume!  I managed to get some sleep and so have not lost all the ‘lustre’ (!!) on my personality.  Nonetheless, I’ve been doing my best to grab some shut eye in the airport….albeit in some pretty odd looking positions!

The lay-over here is 15 hours, so there’s lots of time for some snoozing and reading.  I’ve been working my way through Stephanie Nolan’s book, 28 Stories of AIDS.  I find I can only read a chapter or two…and then I have to stop for a while because I don’t want to become a weeping soul in the midst of the hurly burly at Heathrow.  I suspect it’s best for a woman travelling on her own to look like she is maintaining some level of composure.

I’ve tuned into CBC Radio…just to keep a toe in the pool at home…and find I am listening to an interview with Edwin Cameron, a high court judge from South Africa, who has written “Witness to AIDS”  (http://www.witnesstoaids.com/index.html) and is currently in Toronto to be part of an AIDS related speaking series.

Already the reality of this plague — a reality my comfortable life has allowed me to keep at a comfortable distance from my mind  — is draping around me…preparing me, I hope, for the work ahead.


  1. Kate says:

    Be strong! Get sleep!! We’re proud of you!!!


  2. Barb says:

    You absolutely amaze me! You are my current day Proverbs 31: [13 - end] woman (sans the wife part of course).
    We’re holding you up.

  3. Mew says:

    Hi Vicki
    thanks for letting me know you got there safely. You have no idea how much I appreciated getting that message. I think thats great that you have someone to share the experience of the orientation with who is in the same shoes as you. take care.

  4. Vicki says:

    Dear Kate, Barb and Mew,

    Thanks for your comments! You wouldn’t believe how much sleep I’m getting! With it getting dark so early…and the tv here is…well….interesting but not particularly engaging…I tend to read and then fall asleep relatively early. I’m up at 6 am most days….and then off to ‘work’ around 7:30 or 8:00. It’s not uncommon, though, that I arrive before my work colleagues. So I just stand outside the office, enjoy the sun and read “The Nation”, one of Lilongwe’s daily papers.